Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Equal Rights


Don’t get me wrong, I love all animals and I especially love dogs. I was in Petsmart just the other day and saw a puppy that made me lose my ability to speak like an adult. But cats are my life and I still feel like they are not getting the attention that dogs are. If you walk into a store like Petsmart you’ll see about 10-15 aisles dedicated to dogs as opposed to 4 or 5 for cats. There are many more brands of dog food on the market than cat food and don’t even get me started on cat toys. Yet if you go on any forum there are hundreds of thousands of cat lovers complaining of these very things. So why hasn’t the pet industry gotten a clue? There are now cat only veterinary practices due to their special needs; needs that are not being met by the pet food industry by the way.

I’d love to see some specialty foods out there that do not have to be obtained via prescription. I understand there are certain conditions where it would be too dangerous to feed those certain foods without a script from a vet. But unfortunately there are food companies that have that market cornered and it has more to do with money than proper ingredients. There are so many issues with gastrointestinal disorders I really think it should not be such a big deal to obtain foods made specifically for IBD kitties or cats with colitis, megacolon, constipation, etc. And there should be foods available that are ingredient specific to those conditions but actually appeal to a cat’s taste buds. No one likes to see those little noses turned up when they are so sick and need to eat.

Thank goodness we’re entering an age where more men are admitting their devotion to felines. Perhaps this will entice companies to make some cat safe toys they actually want to play with. Though I have yet to see anyone in my area actually walking their cat on a harness, and I can’t see there ever being a “cat park”. The whole territorial thing would send the fur flying! Although I don’t know which is easier to take care of, a cat or a dog, they both come with a long list of pros, cons and questions. Which one experiences more separation anxiety? Cats are more independent but have plenty of other anxiety issues. Cats don’t need to be walked but can easily have litter box issues. You don’t have to play with cats as much or as long as dogs. Cats love it as long as they can stare at you making a fool of yourself for some 30 minutes or so while you try to get them to play. Cats don’t take up as much room; not true as they will spread themselves out all over the house and so will all of their stuff.

Truth is that pets are a lot of work no matter if it’s a dog or a cat. But as a cat owner I’d like to see the industry step up and realize that cats have a huge role in our families and they deserve equal time. They deserve fun, safe and affordable toys, decent and species appropriate food (again, affordable), and better advances in their healthcare, especially as they get older. They deserve everything we can give them as a family just as much as any other pet who would be so kind as to own us. 

9 comments:

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

Well...there are 2 kitties here, and a pup...and we certainly have to agree.

On a related topic, meowmy always thinks the choices for little boys clothes and decent young men's, is pathetic compared to the choices for little girls...ad we only had boys here...even the furs! MOL...except fur Suki...

Wow, here where we live there are not any feline only vet practices...and even less of those who deal with farm animals, that we are aware of, and yet living semi rurally, there are loads of peeps with livestock and other non-traditional pets. here do those creatures find their docs? Surely they don't travel to the vet school, that is about 50 miles from here.

Affordable, OMC, don't get us started, MOL!

At our den, us kitties get to raom almost evfurrywhere, but not dog-guy, MOL! We must be superior...tee-hee.
Only none of us get to go in the bedrooms, meowmy has allergies, and fur in bed would not be good...and one of our unfur-bros also has respiratory issues.

Well, meowmy shall have to go and study this equality issue next time she goes to a pet store...not to many of those in our town either..2 to be exact, there used to be 4, and of course we have the farm bureau which actually has good things, not seen in regular pet stores.

Off to night-night land...
Purrs!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. If your irritates me quite often. Even my pet food company... Their facebook page is a target to dogs. Concerns me a bit if they do very little advertisements for cats. Ive contacted them on it before. Hopefully one day this will change...

I do use an all cat vet and it is a word of difference. If that option is available to you i suggest trying it.

IBDKitties said...

MOL, your posts are always amusing. I am allergic as well but punish myself by letting them sleep with me. I must have be a glutton for punishment.

IBDKitties said...

YES! The advertisements are usually always directed at dogs! I wish they'd figure this out, it's not like we're all hiding our love of cats or anything.

Tigger Tales said...

Great blog! Yes, I've noticed this exact thing; I would love equal treatment for us cats in the pet industry. When Mom goes to pet stores she see aisles and aisles of merchandise and food for dogs, and much less for cats. :(

Purrs,

Marmelade

IBDKitties said...

Thank you Marmelade! Another vote for kitties!

Ingen (Jenny) said...

My brother-in-law takes his cat to a cats only vet in Ann Arbor. Is that too far for you?

IBDKitties said...

Ellen wanted me to post this for her as she cannot for some reason:

Also, when did the word "pet" become a synonym for "dog". I've seen so many stores and hotels advertise themselves as "pet friendly" but only offer options or accommodations for dogs.

Ellen

Tigger Tales said...

So true Ellen!